If a Georgia car accident injured you, you’re probably dealing with medical bills, lost wages, and the emotional toll that comes from being hurt in a traumatic event. To make matters worse, insurance companies often use sneaky tactics to minimize the compensation you deserve. If the insurance company won’t pay up, you could face serious financial jeopardy.
At the W. Winston Briggs Law Firm, we’re dedicated to helping victims of car accidents through the complex world of insurance claims and fighting for the compensation they deserve. Insurance companies rely on several tricks to avoid paying what they owe in car accident claims. Our attorneys know how to counter those moves to help you maximize your financial recovery.
Tricks Insurance Companies Use to Reduce Your Compensation
There are a handful of standard techniques insurance companies use to reduce your compensation after a car accident and protect their profits, such as:
- Offering a quick settlement: Insurance companies often offer a quick, lowball settlement to an injured party right away. They hope you’re desperate and will be tempted by the immediate cash. They don’t want you to realize you’re entitled to additional compensation. Be cautious, and don’t accept any offer before you talk to an attorney.
- Misrepresenting your policy: Insurance adjusters may try to mislead you about your policy coverage, claiming certain losses aren’t covered when they are. Always double-check your policy and consult with your lawyer about your coverage.
- Requesting a recorded statement: Insurance companies often request a recorded statement in the hope that you’ll accidentally admit fault or downplay your injuries. There’s no law or requirement that says you must give a recorded statement, and it’s best to consult an attorney before speaking with the insurance company.
- Delaying the claim process: Insurers may drag their feet when processing your claim, hoping you’ll accept a lower settlement because you’re tired of dealing with them. Stay persistent, and don’t be afraid to involve an attorney to push the process along.
How to Protect Your Right to Compensation After a Car Accident
Your actions after a car accident can significantly impact your insurance claim and how much money you recover for your injuries. To maximize your compensation after a crash, remember to:
- Seek medical attention immediately: You must get a physical as soon as possible after the accident. A visit to the doctor protects your health and creates a medical record of any injuries the accident caused. This record can support your claim.
- Document the accident: Gather as much evidence as possible before you talk to the insurance company. Some common evidence used in car accident cases includes photos of the accident scene and your injuries, witness statements, and the police crash report. This documentation can help support your case.
- Don’t sign any document without legal advice: Before signing any documents from the insurance company, consult an experienced attorney to ensure the settlement you’ve been offered is fair.
- Keep a record of your expenses: Maintain a log of all accident-related expenses, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. You’ll need all this documentation to calculate the full extent of your losses and support your claim.
Our Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys Can Help
At the W. Winston Briggs Law Firm, we understand the stress and frustration of dealing with insurance companies after a car accident. Our experienced Atlanta car accident attorneys can take over your case, protect your rights, and work diligently to obtain the compensation you deserve. Don’t let insurance companies take advantage of you – contact us today at (404) 522-1500 for a free consultation, and let us fight for your rights.